Today was another exciting day at the Library of Congress. My brain is fried! Now I know how you feel after my class. :-) We visited the Map Reading Room and had a personal tour by the curator. What's a curator? Does anyone know? How about cartographer? They have over 2.5 million maps in this section of the library. The map library alone would cover two football fields and they are running out of space! How many square feet is that? See -
your brain is starting to fry now. I saw a map that George Washington created when he was 16 years old. On the back side of the map was his first attempt - even George Washington made mistakes. I even saw a map that the Library bought for 10 million dollars! It was made in Germany in 1501. I'll show you a picture of it when I get back. There was also a section of treasure maps - not real ones, but even the Library of Congress has a sense of humor.
 |
| No one has ever found treasure with these maps! |
 |
| This is a Gangland map of Chicago created in the 1930s. | | | | | | | | | | | Here is another monument that I'd like you to find. What is it and why is it important? | | |
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
No comments:
Post a Comment